Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Our first (and hopefully our last) taste of RSV

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a very common virus that causes lung and airway infections in infants and young children.

Never heard of it? Neither had we until fairly recently...

About a week and a half ago Michael awoke from his sleep around 2:30 a.m. with a coughing attack, a slight fever, a rapid heart beat and clearly, upset. David and I took him to the ER where I assumed I'd be told to go home ("silly, first time Mom," I could hear them saying to me upon entering), give him some Children's Tylenol and go back to sleep. Boy was I mistaken.

Next thing we know we're in a cramped hospital room with three doctors and two nurses tending to Michael while the poor thing is overwhelmed by his current stranger anxiety and asking us a zillion questions. All the while I kept thinking, will someone confirm that he's going to be okay ...

His fever spiked to 103.5, his heart beat was around 215 beats per minute and his oxygen levels were in the low 80s (they're supposed to be at 100).

But after several tests and some serious post-traumatic stress cuddling with our baby boy, he was given an oxygen treatment, an IV to hydrate him and some pain reliever. And about four hours later we were sent on our way.

We monitored his fever for the next week and like clock work, gave him Tylenol and Motrin every three hours. But, aside from a minor ear infection he is back at school and doing wonderfully.

What a trooper!

No comments:

Post a Comment