Thursday, November 17, 2011

37 Weeks Came Early - Ultrasound Update

When I went in for my regular doctor's appointment on Tuesday, at my 36th week, they measured the baby and he was measuring at 40 weeks - a full four weeks larger than what's considered "normal." Immediately the story of the Texas woman who delivered an 18 pound baby a couple of months ago flashed through my mind, and I needed answers! What does this mean? Will I be able to deliver him? Can you induce me early? Is my due date pushed back? And finally (and yes, I said this to the doctor) - I am NOT looking to break any records with this baby!

So, they asked me to come-in yesterday and do the ultrasound, instead of waiting until next week. And I am so happy they did, or the Texas-sized baby story would be haunting me for an entire week. Turns out, he is just perfect.
  • He measured 6 lbs., 2 ounces on the ultrasound, and since those are a bit off in this stage of the game too, the ultrasound tech thinks he's probably just under 6 lbs.
  • The tech thinks if I go full-term he'll likely weigh-in around 7 lbs. - just slightly above average.
  • He's in the 43 percentile for growth.
  • He was practicing his breathing which shows excellent cognitive skills/brain development.
  • He was moving around (good "fetal movement"), which is great, and we definately have a thumb-sucker on our hands... he won't let those hands (and feet for that matter) of his away from his face/mouth.
  • And he's assumed position - bottom up, head down.
As for me - I feel fine considering I'm nine months pregnant, but my elevated blood pressure, which has been a pretty constant for me throughout the pregnancy, is a concern. So, I'm back on modified bed rest - so no running marathons or climbing 14ers. I've been taking it pretty easy anyway and will continue down that path until little man enters our lives.

The bag for the hospital is also packed and ready to go (did you know I was a planner?). In it - cute pajama sets for me, movies (Goonies, Adventures in Babysitting - some 80s classics), other necessities and thanks to my Aunt Abbey, a coming home outfit for baby boy. Abbey bought my Mom the coming home outfit for me 31 years ago and now she's doing the same for our son. You will definately see pictures, so I'll save its description for the coming weeks. Plus, a stuffed animal for him - I had A LOT to choose from, but he'll be cuddling up to a musical giraffe upon his arrival (thank you Emily Jane).

David and I had what I thought was a cute conversation the other night. We were sitting on the couch watching our slew of TV shows that we enjoy and David turned to me and asked "are you ready for this?" I said I was a little scared now that it was getting closer (more not knowing what labor/delivery will be like), but yes I definately was. And I asked him the same and he said yes he was....

So, it's in baby boy's court now but we're ready when you are little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment