Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Car Show, County Fair, Parade & Airshow... Oh My!

In typical Estes family fashion, August has gotten off to a busy but very fun start. But before I make you smile with the slew of pictures I took to honor each occasion, I don't know that I've let you all in on a little secret ...

Michael is obsessed with shoes! Enough so that I felt the need to mention it on our blog. Literally, David and I joke he's apt to be a shoe salesman one day. Why would I think that you ask? Well, when I lay him on his changing pad and he sees his shoes, he cries and cries until I hand them to him and then he spends the next several minutes trying to put them on his feet -- allthewhile I'm trying to put a diaper on, shirt on, shorts on ... you get the picture. He LOVES to take his shoes off anytime he can, but not because he hates them, but because he wants to put them back on himself. And finally, he likes to take our shoes off and put them on each other, himself or back on us.

So there you have it ... our future Al Bundy.

Okay, back to the August action.

The Car Show
It's been a busy month so far. David got his car ready and entered it into a rather large car show, hosted by our local rock station 106.7 FM. He raced it down the quarter mile track a couple of times which was fun to watch and had a lot of people take pictures of it, ask him questions, etc. He was very proud - as he should be, considering all the time he's spent on it.

Here's some pics of his 1931 Model A Ford, affectionately known as "Dillinger:"

 
 
 

The Denver County Fair
We took Michael to the Denver County Fair last weekend and although it seemed less impressive than year's past to David and I, Michael was in pure bliss. There was a dog agility course where he "oooed" and "ahhhd" at the dogs, pointed, barked and clapped for them as they ran through the course.

He got to ride a pony for the first time and could not keep from smiling (I had to literally run alongside him in a circle - motion sickness anyone?! - to keep him from falling off, but it was worth it as that smile will melt even the most bitter of hearts). He went to the petting zoo but really wasn't having it after the one goat he liked wouldn't eat any of his food.

He had a fantastic time:





The Welcome Western Week Parade - Downtown Littleton
In case you didn't know, I grew up going to parades and absolutely adore them. So, when I know one is coming up, I get very excited and I will train Michael to get very excited along with me ... so far, so good. We got downtown early, like an hour and a half before the parade started. A little obsessed? Well, maybe but I just wanted the best seat I could for Michael ... and boy did we snag one. We put our chairs and blanket right on the street and decided to walk around a little while we were burning time. And don't you know it, but our little stinker fell asleep right before the excitement was about to begin. But, I gently woke him when it was time - I know, never wake a sleeping baby - and he enjoyed every minute or the hour+ parade. I about died of heat exhaustion but we all survived, with no sunburns nonetheless. Go Mom!

Here's some pics for you to enjoy:










The Air Show
Every year David and I pay too much money to go the local air show - mainly because it only happens once a year and because we have such fond memories of the air shows we went to growing up. Well, with the recent sequester on all military jets at public events it wasn't the air shows of old, but it was still very entertaining and again, Michael doesn't know the difference so he was pretty amazed at all the planes.

His parting gift? His first dog tag.






 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment