Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Verdict Is In

Well, our pediatrician's intuition was correct and Michael will need a corrective helmet to get his noggin perfectly round.

While not surpised by the prognosis, I will miss rubbing and kissing his head as he'll need to wear the helmet 23 hours a day. Oh how I will long for that hour.

Here's the run-down:
  • According to the specialist, he's a great candidate for a helmet.
  • What does that mean? Well, the timing is perfect to get him into a helmet due to his age/growth, his skull is still maleable and he has full flexibility in his neck.
  • Great candidate = great expected results.
  • Depending on his progress, he could be in the helmet for as little as three months. (crossing my fingers)
  • The one-hour will be for bathe time, to change his clothes and for Mommy, cuddle time.
Next we'll set-up an appointment with the helmet specialist at the Children's Hospital where they'll do more specific head measurements, order him a helmet and upon its arrival (approx. two weeks after this appt.) go back to get it fitted.

So, we're looking at about a month until he'll be wearing the helmet full-time.

Here's a website with some good information on his condition and the helmets if you're interested: www.orthomerica.com.

I will of course share pictures of the helmet, and like his biliruben "glasses," I'm sure this will become part of his keepsake box that he can thank us for later.

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment